I wanted to make this recipe card from reddit, but found the translations and steps confusing. With my vegan roommates, myself gluten-free when I can, I didn’t have all the ingredients it needed. So I wondered–could I make homemade curry without all the fuss?
The answer is yes.
This curry is the Firey Curry from Persona 5 Royal. It’s the same, but spicy!! It happens in-game when you add too many spices. It takes GUTS to eat this curry!! Level up your KNOWLEDGE once you make this for for that special someone to increase CHARM and PROFICIENCY.
Sharing it with you gives me KINDNESS. So make this for others! This base roux, or curry “starter” makes about 2-4 servings depending on how hungry the people eating are.
This version is meatless, gluten-free less, and vegan since I only use water. But it tastes just as good and delicious. My version uses a secret ingredient.
Leblanc Firey Curry – Persona 5 Royal Inspired (GF/Vegan/Veg – Beginner Ver)
This base version of a traditional Japanese curry requires little to no effort. It’s also not really traditional, as it’s missing key ingredients. Reference the reddit recipe card, please in case to make your own variations.
Total time: 30-45min | 15-20min active; and 30min simmering
Legend: Grams to Teaspoons/Tablespoons
- 36g = 9-12 teaspoons | 3-4 tablespoons
- 4g = 1 rounded tsp, 1.5 tsp
- 2g = 1 rounded tsp
- 1g = ½ tsp
The Spice Ingredients
- Flour – 36 grams – Arrowroot or Einkorn* (GF) / Cassava (Keto)
- Cumin – 4g
- Turmeric – 2g
- Cardamom – 1g
- Cinnamon – 1g
- Cayenne – 1 g
- Garam Masala – ½g (can be omitted)
- Black Pepper – a couple shakes
The Broth Ingredients
- Potato base, peeled and into cube
- ½ russet potato or 1 red potato or 3 small potatoes, basically it needs to be a about 3-4in in diameter
- Fuji apple, ½ peeled and grated or chopped finely
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Coconut oil, ½ tablespoon
- Salt, 1-2g
- Bragg’s Amino Acids (Soy sauce) – 14g (about a tablespoon)
- 2 cups water
The Secret Ingredients
- Pumpkin Pie Space – 1g
- Dark chocolate – 8g (more to sweeten)
- Instant Coffee – 1-2g
- Butter, 14g (Omit for Vegan; or replace with Milkadamia)
- 14g = 1 slice or 1 spooned out portion
The Steps to Profit! (I mean curry)
- Mix all the spices together + the secret spice!
- Add garlic & oil to a pan and roast it for a couple minutes.
- Add potatoes and apples. Stir to immerse in garlic.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Potatoes need to cook/boil for about 5 min.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add salt.
- Add spice mixture and stir. Stir it. Do not stop the stir!
- Once it looks like curry, add instant coffee and amino acids/soy sauce.
- Then add chocolate.
- Watch it drown and melt away into the curry. Keep stirring.
- Finish with butter and watch it melt to create a glorious future.
- PROFIT!! Enjoy your creation.
What to add from here?
At this point, the curry goes on top of beef, lamb or pork. For a lighter non-vegan curry, add a cup of chicken broth instead of water and omit the soy sauce. At the end of the day, it’s up to you to enjoy. So enjoy it!
*Einkorn is an ancient grain that some people with wheat sensitivities can eat. If you have celiac disease, talk to your Doctor about options with einkorn before using it in place of a more traditional gluten alternative Arrowroot.